41. Let thy mercies come also unto me, O LORD, even thy salvation, according to thy word.
42. So shall I have wherewith to answer him that reproacheth me: for I trust in thy word.
43. And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth; for I have hoped in thy judgments.
44. So shall I keep thy law continually for ever and ever.
45. And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.
46. I will speak of thy testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed.
47. And I will delight myself in thy commandments, which I have loved.
48. My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.” (Ps 119:41-48)
Your mercies are the foundation of salvation, as your word has spoken. It is not by
works of righteousness which we have done, but according to Your mercy You saved
saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost. This mercy
was shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior so that being justified by
his grace, we should be made heirs according ot the hope of eternal life. Salvation has
always been according to Your mercy, O Precious Father in Heaven.
This is the answer I will give to all those who accuse Your people of being proud and
boasting in Your favor, for your favor is according to Your own pleasure and not
according to the good works that you see in us. We trust in Your precious promises,
not in our righteousness. The ungodly cannot see this, for they have not been humbled
by your mercy, but go about seeking to establish their own righteousness.
By Your grace, Precious Father, we will always have this word in our mouth and will
confess it before men. Our hope is in your word, in your promises, in your judgments
which will vinidicate our witness though it be despised and Your people threatened to
keep them silent. We will not keep silent, for we hope in your judgment which will
silence the mouths of the ungodly.
Because by Your grace You teach Your people to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts,
we will keep your law continually for ever and ever, not just in ceremonies, but from
our whole hearts.
Because this obedience is taught of you and is from the heart, we walk at liberty,
seeking your precepts, because Your law is the truth.
We will not keep silence before kings and magistrates, rulers, and emperors, for why
should we be ashamed of Your testimonies. He that believes on Your shall not be
ashamed for every one of your righteous judgments will be seen in the earth. All knees
shall bow before our Lord Jesus and every tongue shall confess that He is Lord to the
glory of God. Thus you have sworn.
We do not grudge to give ourselves up totally to you, to do all things by faith to the
glory of God, as our Lord commanded. We delight to take up our cross and follow
You, for we do not serve with the mind of slaves, but as sons who have an eternal
inheritance in Christ Jesus. Therefore, we offer up our bodies to You with all that we
have, whether eating or drinking, or whatsoever we do, we will do all to the glory of
God, for this is Your commandment in which we delight. This we confess and vow to
You, O Father.
This vow we make to you in offering up our hands, for we love You. You have
purchased us with the blood of our Savior, and we are not our own, we are bought with
a price, even the precious blood of Christ. We will gladly take up our cross and follow
you, and so put to our seal that God is true and righteous all together. This is the hope
of eternal life and forgiveness of sins through the blood of the Mediator, Jesus of
Nazareth, whom You have appointed. Amen and Amen.
A vehicle for venting on philosophy, religion, and the general state of things. Proprietor: C. W. Powell
- ► 2015 (16)
- ▼ 2014 (60)
- ► 2013 (78)
- ► 2012 (68)
- ► 2011 (9)
- ► 2009 (27)
- ► 2008 (76)
- ► 2007 (38)
- ► 2006 (173)
- ► 2005 (186)
- ► 2004 (628)
- ► 2003 (355)
- Contra Mundum by Andy Underhill
- Warren Cruz
- Send an email to Bud Powell
- Other Recent Sermons by Dr. Powell
- Basket of Figs Website
- The Reformed Church in the U. S.
- Trinity Covenant Church
- The Third Story
- National Review
- World Magazine
- Download Adobe Reader
- Reformed Treasures: Be sure you try this out!
Blogs 'n Stuff
- Warren Cruz - Good Stuff
- Wheat and Chaff [Matthew Powell's Blog]
- New City of the Gospel [Rick Palma--very good]
- Two Edged Sword [Lee Johnson]
- Swinder [Profitable stuff--Highly recommended
- Two Reformed Guys--interesting
- Red Sky Brothers
- A PRIORI ASSUMPTIONE: J. Mader. Sharp.
- Terry Pruitt
- Wittenberg Door
- In Principio Deus
- Soli Deo Gloria
- League of Reformed Blogs
- Dead Men's Voices-Episcopalian
- Olive Tree Library and Journal
- Dawn Treader [Very Good]
- Real Clear Politics
- World Magazine Blog
- Power Line. Read every day.
- NewMax:Get on the email updates