ShareThis

A vehicle for venting on philosophy, religion, and the general state of things. Proprietor: C. W. Powell

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Jesus is the Son of God

Thomas, one of the Twelve, would not believe that Jesus had risen from the dead. He said, "I will not believe unless I put my fingers into the wounds in His hands and thrust my hand into the wound in His side."

Shortly after, Jesus appeared to his disciples and asked Thomas to do just that and said, "Be not faithless but believing." Thomas refused of course but worshipped Jesus saying, "My Lord and my God."

It is what Jesus replied to Thomas that is most significant, as wonderful as Thomas' confession is.

Jesus said, "Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed."

First of all, Jesus did not rebuke Thomas for calling him "God" as every good created being in the Bible did when men tried to give them divine honors. Jesus did just the opposite and blessed Thomas for his confession. Furthermore, Jesus said Thomas' blessing is ours also, for we have also believed, even though, unlike Thomas, we have not seen."

We do not see the miracle, but our faith is as good as Thomas' for we have believed those who spoke the Word of God to us.

C. W. Powell

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive