ShareThis

A vehicle for venting on philosophy, religion, and the general state of things. Proprietor: C. W. Powell

Thursday, November 01, 2012

Well, You Know, Sin is Sin

Perfectionism refuses to see the difference between things.
God expects us to know the difference between a gnat and a camel.
I have had a gnat in my soup and removed it. The soup was still
good and I drank it along with the myriad of unseen biological
creatures that infest everything we eat and drink. Don't seek to know
everything you eat and drink on a daily basis if you are a perfectionist.
It will drive you crazy.

God appointed Jehu king of Israel and used him to destroy Baal
worship, and rewarded Jehu with four generations of kings in his family.
This in spite of Jehu's continued worship of the golden calves at
Dan and Bethel, the evil of Jereboam I. He even names one of
his sons Jereboam who reigned as Jereboam II. Baal worship was
far worse than the golden calf worship for the nation and involved
human sacrifice. The calf worship was, at least in the beginning,
a pretense to worshiping Jehovah and did not involve the social
and legal decay that Baal worship did.

Jehu was a better man than Ahab, though neither of them were godly.

I have never had a camel in my soup, but I don't think I would
drink soup that had a camel in it. I have never swallowed a physical
camel, but I have swallowed some spiritual ones that I dearly repented
of. The principle is the same, it is the degree of invasion that counts.

People choke over some poor, weak, "hypocrite" in the church,
and swallow easily their disobedience to God in despising the church,
Christ's government of the church, and the regular preaching of the Gospel.

Well, "sin is sin," the perfectionist intones with hands folded and eyes
elevated to heaven. Well, duh. And false doctrine is false doctrine.
But God said that we are to judge righteous judgment. You should
pay your tithe of mint, anise, and cumin, but don't think a transgression
in mint is equal to a transgression in judgment, mercy, and faith.
The perfectionist is mired in the false doctrines of self righteousness
and cannot see clearly.

But the perfectionist thinks he has every obedience covered and is
secure in his pretense. He thinks, "When I pay my pinch of mint,
then I will have kept the law perfectly as a righteous man.
I got the gnat. Don't talk to me about the camel. I just swallered him."

But worst of all, the perfectionist, in treating every sin the same,
does not make small sins abhorrent, he only succeeds in trivializing
huge sins. So he loses the ability to evaluate anything: murder is the
same as petty theft; perjury before a church judicatory is the same
as complimenting a person for an ugly hat.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive