ShareThis

A vehicle for venting on philosophy, religion, and the general state of things. Proprietor: C. W. Powell

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Morning Prayer, April 16, 2014. Psalm 39:3-7

Precious Heavenly Father,

I confess that I must know how frail I am before I can know anything else. I do not
know the measure of my days, or what the end of my life will be. Before You, my life
is but a vapor, a smoke wafted in the air, that appears for a few moments and then
vanishes away. All flesh is as grass and fades and vanishes away before Your heat....

We walk in a vain show, like shadows on the wall. We strut and perform and imagine
vain things; at our best state we are at most complete vanity and emptiness. The world
passes away and the lusts thereof, be he who does the will of God abides forever. This
I know and confess, Precious Father, for You are the reality; man is but an image
impressed upon the dust.

Your people pray, "Your kingdom come, You will be done, in earth as it is in heaven,"
but we act so contrary to that, seeking to build our kingdoms with the dry straw of our
own decisions. But we are like the chaff which the wind blows away. Vain Herods are
still eaten by worms; proud Nebuchadnezzers graze on the grass like oxen, Korahs are
swallowed by the pit; they all pass away for you have more means than we can
possibly imagine.

"Make me to know my end, and the measure of my days, what it is: that I may know
how frail am."

Then I may yet hope in You, O Precious Father, What am I waiting for? Ps 73:25
"Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside
thee." Why long I for vanity, when You are my shield and my exceeding great reward.

-----

4 LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I
may know how frail I am.

5 Behold, thou hast made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is as nothing
before thee: verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity. Selah.

6 Surely every man walketh in a vain shew: surely they are disquieted in vain: he
heapeth up riches, and knoweth not who shall gather them.

7 And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope is in thee. Psalm 39

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive