ShareThis

A vehicle for venting on philosophy, religion, and the general state of things. Proprietor: C. W. Powell

Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Twice in my life I had jobs that required me to join unions. One was in Pennsylvania working on a road crew one summer when I was still in college. I don’t count that one because the union was run by the Mafia, and we got no benefits. We worked for their benefit, not for ours.

But the other time was in northern California when I worked at a sawmill. I was shortly out of college, young and filled with energy. After about the third day, one of the older union men came to me and said, “Powell, you better slow down. You are making the other men look bad.” I got the message. Thankfully, it was only a summer job, and I never had another union job. I hate the union mentality that hinders excellence. Men sell their souls for comfortable mediocrity.

I refused to live my life that way. Philippians 1:9,10: “And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; that ye may approve things that are excellent….”

Christians are to live for the glory of God and in terms of the commandments and nature of God. I am supposed to prove the things that are excellent. I am not to settle for what’s “good enough.” The only thing that is “good enough” for me is the very best I can do.

The Bible does not teach that men are equal. In fact, some have one talent, some have two, some have five. They are equal in their responsibility to use what they have to the best of their ability, but there is not to be equal outcomes. Radical democracy that seeks to bring all to the same level is antithetical to Christianity.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive